Actinic keratosis treatment is available for La Mesa area residents
La Mesa area patients with actinic keratoses need to work with a dedicated skin doctor to determine the best treatment plan. Grossmont Dermatology Medical Clinic and Skin Cancer Treatment Center’s team of professionalswork closely with patients to determine treatment for a variety of conditions that affect the skin, hair, and nails.
Actinic keratosis explained
Many patients are interested in learning what an actinic keratosis is and how it should be treated. This condition develops generally from excessive sun exposure over time. Because it is damage from the sun’s ultraviolet rays, it is also called solar keratosis. These are lesions thattypically develop on sun-exposed areas, and may appear as dry, scaly thickened patches. In some cases, actinic keratosis can develop into a skin cancercalled squamous cell carcinoma.
When skin cancer is a concern, the provider at Grossmont Dermatology may remove a portion of the actinic keratosis for a biopsy. This means it is sent to thelaboratory for evaluation. The evaluation is done to determine if there are any cancerous cells present.
Treatment of actinic keratosis
Treatment for actinic keratoses may vary from cryotherapy, photodynamic therapy/PDT, topical medications or physical removal of the lesion. Patients with actinic keratosis are advised to practice strict sun protection to avoid problems in the future.
Make an appointment with Grossmont Dermatology now
If you have concerns about actinic keratoses or skin cancer, you may want to be evaluated by a medical professional. Schedule an appointment with Grossmont Dermatology Medical Clinic and Skin Cancer Treatment Center. Our dermatologists are equipped with the latest technologies and techniques for a variety of skin concerns. The practice is conveniently located at 8860 Center Drive, Suite 300 and can be contacted at (619) 462-1670.
Back to PDT Actinic Keratosis Home Page
Grossmont Dermatology Medical Clinic and Skin Cancer Treatment Center
Grossmont Dermatology is committed to providing patients with excellent quality skin treatments to help them preserve their youth. They use the latest technologies and treatment modalities to provide patients with the most effective services suiting their individual needs. The team of professionals at the practice comprise:
- Christopher Crosby, MD, PhD, FAAD - Specialist in Mohs surgery and reconstructive dermatologic surgery for skin cancers.
- Paul B. Dean, MD, MPH, FAAD – Specializes in general dermatology, mole and lesion removal, photodynamic therapy (PDT), and skin cancer treatments.
- Maki Christine Goskowicz, MD, FAAD – Expertise includes general and laser dermatology, and skin cancer and melanoma treatments.
- Shinko Lin, MD – Specializes in general, cosmetic and laser dermatology, skin cancer treatments, and PDT.
- Helene Jolly, PA-C, MPAP – Performs cosmetic dermatology, acne and skin rash treatments, and mole removal among other tasks.