CA dermatologist sheds light on laser treatment
When the first laser was built in 1960, few people thought this innovation would become part of our everyday lives. Yet today we rely on laser technology at the grocery store checkout, to print from our computers, and to watch DVDs. Laser treatment has also become an essential component of skin care. Our dermatologists can explain laser therapies offered at Grossmont Dermatology Medical Clinic in La Mesa, CA and answers concerns about safety.
Use of lasers in dermatology
Some practitioners invest in one laser and try to adapt it to many uses. Grossmont Dermatology takes a different approach. This highly-trained team knows that each type of laser and focused wavelength of light has particular applications. Each is appropriate for different skin types. Patient safety relies on the correct modality and usage for the need at hand.
Our practice has a suite of lasers to precisely treat a range of cosmetic concerns:
- Facial spider veins and vascular birthmarks including port wine stains.
- Fine lines and wrinkles.
- Lax skin.
- Rough skin texture.
- Scars, including acne scarring.
- Sun-damaged skin.
- Uneven pigmentation – freckles, sun spots, age spots, and melasma.
- Unwanted hair.
Is laser treatment safe?
We use only FDA-cleared devices. While lasers are powerful skin care tools, in professional hands, treatment is very safe. Extra precautions are taken to ensure comfortable treatment and utmost safety for the patient. By far, clinician training and experience is the most important factor in treatment safety. At Grossmont Dermatology, those who perform laser therapies complete specialized training, and many laser procedures are handled by one of our doctors.
There are potential risks associated with laser and light therapies, which the doctor will talk with you about prior to treatment. Because your skin, physiology, and lifestyle are unique, it is not possible to exactly anticipate how you will respond to treatment. Burns, unwanted pigmentation changes, and scarring could occur.
Modern laser treatment is changing how dermatologists help patients turn back the clock. Call (619) 462-1670 for a consultation to learn more about a new age of anti-aging in La Mesa, CA.
Grossmont Dermatology Medical Clinic and Skin Cancer Treatment Center Staff
Grossmont Dermatology is committed to providing patients with excellent quality skin treatments to help them preserve their youth. They use the latest technologies and treatment modalities to provide patients with the most effective services suiting their individual needs. The team of professionals at the practice comprise:
- Paul B. Dean, MD, MPH, FAAD – Specializes in general dermatology, mole and lesion removal, photodynamic therapy (PDT), and skin cancer treatments.
- Maki Christine Goskowicz, MD, FAAD – Expertise includes general, cosmetic and laser dermatology, and skin cancer surgery and Botox treatments.
- Christopher Crosby, MD, PhD, FAAD - Specialist in Mohs surgery and reconstructive dermatologic surgery for skin cancers.
- Shinko Lin, MD – Specializes in general, cosmetic and laser dermatology, skin cancer treatments, and PDT.
- Sam Khalifian, MD – Specializes in adult and pediatric autoimmune connective tissue disease, skin cancer and melanoma treatments, hair loss disorders, and cosmetics.
- Helene Jolly, PA-C, MPAP – Performs cosmetic dermatology, acne and skin rash treatments, and mole removal among other tasks.