How Microneedling Improves Acne and Acne Scarring
When patients visit our doctors to ask about how they can improve acne scars, we sometimes suggest microneedling. Microneedling is one of the most popular cosmetic skin treatments we perform at Grossmont Dermatology Medical Clinic. It is a non-invasive procedure that safely treats patients of all skin types. This blog provides a brief explanation about what microneedling can do to improve acne scarring.
Microneedling is a device that uses miniature sterile needles to rapidly poke tiny holes into the skin. Although microneedling does not cause any actual harm, it does cause just enough damage to make the body produce extra collagen and elastin. These proteins are beneficial because they help to smooth and rejuvenate the skin. Patients choose microneedling to help address issues that include fine lines and wrinkles, hyperpigmentation and temporarily improve the appearance of enlarged pores. Additionally, patients who have or have had acne also see significant improvements with this treatment.
For Acne Scars
Some acne breakouts can damage the skin, as well as the tissue directly below. Once a pimple subsides, the body works to repair this tissue with natural collagen. If the skin does not receive enough collagen, a depressed scar (or pit-like divot) can form; if the skin receives too much collagen, a raised scar can form.
The tiny punctures created with microneedling famously boost natural collagen production. This extra collagen does a great job of filling in depressed acne scars. However, raised acne scars are generally unaffected by microneedling treatment. The duration of the results can differ from patient to patient. Some patients need two or three sessions per year to maintain the results.
Make an Appointment
To determine whether microneedling is a good option for you, meet with our skin experts. Together, you can devise a treatment plan that will give you smoother more radiant skin. Patients can call or text (619) 462-1670 to arrange an appointment at our office in La Mesa, CA.
Grossmont Dermatology Medical Clinic and Skin Cancer Treatment Center Staff
Grossmont Dermatology is committed to providing patients with excellent quality skin treatments to help them preserve their youth. They use the latest technologies and treatment modalities to provide patients with the most effective services suiting their individual needs.
The team of professionals at the practice comprise:
- Paul B. Dean, MD, MPH, FAAD – Specializes in general dermatology, mole and lesion removal, photodynamic therapy (PDT), and skin cancer treatments.
- Maki Christine Goskowicz, MD, FAAD – Expertise includes general, cosmetic and laser dermatology, and skin cancer surgery and Botox treatments.
- Christopher Crosby, MD, PhD, FAAD - Specialist in Mohs surgery and reconstructive dermatologic surgery for skin cancers.
- Shinko Lin, MD – Specializes in general, cosmetic and laser dermatology, skin cancer treatments, and PDT.
- Sam Khalifian, MD – Specializes in adult and pediatric autoimmune connective tissue disease, skin cancer and melanoma treatments, hair loss disorders, and cosmetics.
- Helene Jolly, PA-C, MPAP – Performs cosmetic dermatology, acne and skin rash treatments, and mole removal among other tasks.
- Kira A. Tellache, PA-C – Performs general dermatology including acne and skin rashes as well as cosmetic dermatology and mole removal.