Discover the safety and effectiveness of laser hair reduction treatments in La Mesa, CA
Shaving every day is tedious and time-consuming. Other hair removal methods such as waxing, plucking, and electrolysis are painful. Laser hair reduction saves patients precious time and energy. Conveniently located in La Mesa, CA, the Board-certified dermatologists at Grossmont Dermatology offer laser hair reduction treatments to safely, effectively remove unwanted hair.
Laser energy precisely targets and focuses on hair follicles in the treatment area. The hair is destroyed as the melanin absorbs the energy. A series of treatments significantly reduces excess hair. Laser hair reduction can be done on nearly any area of the body and has gained popularity due to the following benefits:
- Fast treatments
Safety of laser hair reduction
Patients considering hair reduction procedures may be wondering if they are safe. Laser treatments are medical procedures that require knowledge of the body; the skin tones, types, and layers; and hair follicles. Operating a laser requires extensive training and should be performed in a medical setting. When performed by a trained, experienced medical professional, laser hair removal is safe and effective.
For safety and effectiveness, patients must avoid sun exposure and tanning products between treatments. Sun exposure may irritate the skin, cause complications, or lessen the effectiveness of the procedure. The laser targets melanin which is present in dark colored hair and in tanned skin. With tanned skin, the laser cannot differentiate and determine which melanin to target. For this reason, different laser settings may be necessary to protect the skin.
During the appointment, the laser is calibrated to custom settings for each patient depending on skin tone, hair color, hair thickness, and area of the body. The medical professional and patient wear protective eye gear. A cooling device protects the outer layers of the skin. The skin may look and feel sunburned after the treatment. Ice packs, cold water, and anti-inflammatory products may help ease your discomfort.
Through a series of treatments, the laser targets active hair follicles. Laser treatments safely, precisely reduce excess hair in nearly any area of the body. Contact the Board-certified dermatologists at Grossmont Dermatology Medical Clinic. Call (619) 462-1670.
Grossmont Dermatology Medical Clinic and Skin Cancer Treatment Center Staff
Grossmont Dermatology is committed to providing patients with excellent quality skin treatments to help them preserve their youth. They use the latest technologies and treatment modalities to provide patients with the most effective services suiting their individual needs. The team of professionals at the practice comprise:
- Paul B. Dean, MD, MPH, FAAD – Specializes in general dermatology, mole and lesion removal, photodynamic therapy (PDT), and skin cancer treatments.
- Maki Christine Goskowicz, MD, FAAD – Expertise includes general, cosmetic and laser dermatology, and skin cancer surgery and Botox treatments.
- Christopher Crosby, MD, PhD, FAAD - Specialist in Mohs surgery and reconstructive dermatologic surgery for skin cancers.
- Shinko Lin, MD – Specializes in general, cosmetic and laser dermatology, skin cancer treatments, and PDT.
- Sam Khalifian, MD – Specializes in adult and pediatric autoimmune connective tissue disease, skin cancer and melanoma treatments, hair loss disorders, and cosmetics.
- Helene Jolly, PA-C, MPAP – Performs cosmetic dermatology, acne and skin rash treatments, and mole removal among other tasks.