Patients in La Mesa, CA ask, “What is the process of sclerotherapy?”
If you suffer from unsightly spider veins, you may have asked, “What is the process of sclerotherapy?” In use since the 1930’s, sclerotherapy is a tried and true treatment for spider veins. The Board-certified dermatologists at Grossmont Dermatology in La Mesa, CA offer treatment options to eliminate spider veins.
Why it is done
Many women have superficial groups of blue, red, or purple veins. Although they do not cause pain, they can be a cosmetic issue for some patients leading them to hide their legs. Varicose veins are larger, raised and may cause discomfort or itching. Sclerotherapy is a medical treatment for spider veins. Sclerotherapy is beneficial for patients who have:
- Spider veins that are not causing problems
- Smaller veins, or those that have returned after previous treatment methods
The process of sclerotherapy
Patients who are interested in treatment for spider veins will need to have a consultation. The procedure is performed in the office by one of our dermatologists or physician assistant. The vein is injected with a solution or sclerosant using a very fine needle. The solution irritates the lining of the vessel causing it to close.
During the injections, patients may experience mild discomfort or cramping, especially if larger veins are injected. The procedure takes 15 to 30 minutes. The number of veins injected depends on the size and location of the veins. After the injections, bandaids are placed. Walking may be recommended.
Although downtime is not required, patients may be advised to avoid strenuous exercise for the first week after the procedure. Daily walking is recommended.
Speak with one of our Board-certified dermatologists to learn more about sclerotherapy. Contact Grossmont Dermatology Medical Clinic for an appointment. Call (619) 462-1670.
Grossmont Dermatology Medical Clinic and Skin Cancer Treatment Center Staff
Grossmont Dermatology is committed to providing patients with excellent quality skin treatments to help them preserve their youth. They use the latest technologies and treatment modalities to provide patients with the most effective services suiting their individual needs. The team of professionals at the practice comprise:
- Christopher Crosby, MD, PhD, FAAD - Specialist in Mohs surgery and reconstructive dermatologic surgery for skin cancers.
- Paul B. Dean, MD, MPH, FAAD – Specializes in general dermatology, mole and lesion removal, photodynamic therapy (PDT), and skin cancer treatments.
- Maki Christine Goskowicz, MD, FAAD – Expertise includes general and laser dermatology, and skin cancer and melanoma treatments.
- Shinko Lin, MD – Specializes in general, cosmetic and laser dermatology, skin cancer treatments, and PDT.
- Sam Khalifian, MD – Specializes in adult and pediatric autoimmune connective tissue disease, skin cancer and melanoma treatments, hair loss disorders, and cosmetics.
- Helene Jolly, PA-C, MPAP – Performs cosmetic dermatology, acne and skin rash treatments, and mole removal among other tasks.