Patients ask, “Who is a candidate for sclerotherapy in La Mesa, CA?”
During the heat of summer, no one wants to hide behind long pants. However, women with spider veins often do just that because they are embarrassed by their legs. For patients plagued by unsightly spider veins, the Board-Certified dermatologists at Grossmont Dermatology in La Mesa, CA offer sclerotherapy to treat leg veins.
Spider veins are small, dilated superficial veins. They may be red or blue and generally do not cause discomfort.
Who is a candidate for sclerotherapy?
Patients who are bothered by the appearance of their spider veins may seek treatment. Spider veins or the small veins may be addressed with sclerotherapy. This involves injecting a solution that irritates and collapses the targeted vessels. Patients notice improvement in the visibility of their veins within approximately 4 weeks of treatment.
Fortunately, spider veins are rarely a medical problem but generally a cosmetic one to improve the appearance of the veins. Eliminating the problem begins with a consultation with one of our Board-Certified dermatologists. To be a qualified candidate for treatment, consider the following:
- Patients are often between the ages of 30 and 60.
- Patients must have realistic expectations of the treatment and possible results. This includes the understanding that treatment does not stop future spider veins from appearing and more than one treatment may be needed.
- Potential candidates should follow their doctor’s detailed instructions before and after treatment to ensure the best results. Although the treatment is safe, side effects such as bruising or redness may occur. Wearing compression garments may help with healing.
- Individuals who are pregnant or breastfeeding, bedridden, or have had clotting issues do not qualify for treatment.
Sclerotherapy can improve the appearance of spider veins. To find out if you are a candidate for treatment, contact the Board-Certified dermatologists at Grossmont Dermatology Medical Clinic. Call (619) 462-1670 .
Grossmont Dermatology Medical Clinic and Skin Cancer Treatment Center Staff
Grossmont Dermatology is committed to providing patients with excellent quality skin treatments to help them preserve their youth. They use the latest technologies and treatment modalities to provide patients with the most effective services suiting their individual needs. The team of professionals at the practice comprise:
- Christopher Crosby, MD, PhD, FAAD - Specialist in Mohs surgery and reconstructive dermatologic surgery for skin cancers.
- Paul B. Dean, MD, MPH, FAAD – Specializes in general dermatology, mole and lesion removal, photodynamic therapy (PDT), and skin cancer treatments.
- Maki Christine Goskowicz, MD, FAAD – Expertise includes general and laser dermatology, and skin cancer and melanoma treatments.
- Shinko Lin, MD – Specializes in general, cosmetic and laser dermatology, skin cancer treatments, and PDT.
- Sam Khalifian, MD – Specializes in adult and pediatric autoimmune connective tissue disease, skin cancer and melanoma treatments, hair loss disorders, and cosmetics.
- Helene Jolly, PA-C, MPAP – Performs cosmetic dermatology, acne and skin rash treatments, and mole removal among other tasks.