CA patients learn what to expect after the sclerotherapy procedure
Your legs have carried you through some of the best times of your life – down the aisle, soothing sick babies, across the dancefloor, and tearing up the links. The sclerotherapy procedure for spider and lesser varicose veins keeps legs looking great, and aftercare is easier than you think. CA dermatologists at Grossmont Dermatology share this information.
Leg veins and sclerotherapy
Telangiectasias, better known as spider veins, are small clustered blood vessels near the surface of skin. These colorful dilated vessels are caused by backup in the vascular system, the result of faulty valves in veins.
Sclerotherapy is injection of a sclerosing agent into problematic veins. The solution irritates the lining of a treated blood vessel. It collapses and dies and is eventually absorbed by the body’s natural processes. Meanwhile, blood flow is harmlessly rerouted to healthy veins.
The procedure takes less than an hour. Depending on the number of veins treated, several sessions may be necessary.
There is essentially no downtime after sclerotherapy, and immediate walking is encouraged. There may be slight bruising and swelling, and veins will look more noticeable, before they disappear. If varicose veins are treated, they may feel tender, with hard knots, but this is temporary. Appropriate aftercare minimizes risk of these complications.
- Do not take hot baths or swim for a few weeks.
- Plan treatment at least two weeks in advance of airplane travel.
- Wear sunscreen or keep legs covered.
- Discomfort is typically mild, and easily controlled with acetaminophen. If you experience itching, Benadryl may help.
- Elevate legs when sitting or lying down.
- Normal diet and regular medications are fine.
- Avoid high impact physical activity for a few days.
- Try to walk at least one hour per day.
Call (619) 462-1670 to schedule your sclerotherapy procedure consultation in La Mesa, CA.
Grossmont Dermatology Medical Clinic and Skin Cancer Treatment Center Staff
Grossmont Dermatology is committed to providing patients with excellent quality skin treatments to help them preserve their youth. They use the latest technologies and treatment modalities to provide patients with the most effective services suiting their individual needs.
The team of professionals at the practice comprise:
- Paul B. Dean, MD, MPH, FAAD – Specializes in general dermatology, mole and lesion removal, photodynamic therapy (PDT), and skin cancer treatments.
- Maki Christine Goskowicz, MD, FAAD – Expertise includes general, cosmetic and laser dermatology, and skin cancer surgery and Botox treatments.
- Christopher Crosby, MD, PhD, FAAD - Specialist in Mohs surgery and reconstructive dermatologic surgery for skin cancers.
- Shinko Lin, MD – Specializes in general, cosmetic and laser dermatology, skin cancer treatments, and PDT.
- Helene Jolly, PA-C, MPAP – Performs cosmetic dermatology, acne and skin rash treatments, and mole removal among other tasks.
- Kira A. Tellache, PA-C – Performs general dermatology including acne and skin rashes as well as cosmetic dermatology and mole removal.