La Mesa, CA physicians offer skin cancer treatments such as surgical excision for melanoma treatment
Skin cancer is a common visible cancer and is a problem everyone needs to keep in mind. 1 in 5 Americans will have a basal cell carcinoma at some point in their lives. For patients near La Mesa, CA, the board-certified dermatologists at Grossmont Dermatology offer skin cancer treatments including treatment for melanoma.
As the most dangerous and potentially deadly form of skin cancer, melanomas often look like moles or grow from existing moles. This form of cancer is often caused by exposure to ultraviolet radiation from sunlight or tanning beds. If melanomas are caught early, they are often treatable. When left unchecked and untreated, the cancer can spread throughout the body.
Check for symptoms
Part of any treatment plan includes prevention. Changes to your skin can occur quickly. Catching problems early increases the chances of successful treatment. Use the ABCDE rule when checking your skin. Watch your mole changes in the following areas:
Skin cancer treatment with Mohs surgery
If you have been diagnosed with skin cancer in a high-risk area such as the face, ears, hands, feet, or genitalia, Mohs micrographic surgery may be suggested. These areas do not have much extra skin tissue. With Mohs surgery, the skin cancer is removed while preserving as much normal tissue as possible. The cancer is mapped out, the margins are evaluated, and the tumor is removed a layer at a time until it has been fully excised with negative margins.
Mohs surgery has a cure rate of 97-99 percent, making it a highly successful treatment for skin cancer. This procedure can be done on all skin cancers, but is most often used for squamous or basal cell carcinomas. Melanomas require special stains but are still effectively treated with Mohs, though surgical excision is the most common treatment. By sparing the most normal skin and cosmetically reconstructing the treatment site, Mohs surgery produces a pleasing result for the patient.
It is important to catch skin cancers early. Perform skin checks regularly and visit your dermatologist yearly for exams. Contact our office today to schedule your skin cancer screening. (619) 462-1670
Grossmont Dermatology Medical Clinic and Skin Cancer Treatment Center Staff
Grossmont Dermatology is committed to providing patients with excellent quality skin treatments to help them preserve their youth. They use the latest technologies and treatment modalities to provide patients with the most effective services suiting their individual needs. The team of professionals at the practice comprise:
- Paul B. Dean, MD, MPH, FAAD – Specializes in general dermatology, mole and lesion removal, photodynamic therapy (PDT), and skin cancer treatments.
- Maki Christine Goskowicz, MD, FAAD – Expertise includes general, cosmetic and laser dermatology, and skin cancer surgery and Botox treatments.
- Christopher Crosby, MD, PhD, FAAD - Specialist in Mohs surgery and reconstructive dermatologic surgery for skin cancers.
- Shinko Lin, MD – Specializes in general, cosmetic and laser dermatology, skin cancer treatments, and PDT.
- Sam Khalifian, MD – Specializes in adult and pediatric autoimmune connective tissue disease, skin cancer and melanoma treatments, hair loss disorders, and cosmetics.
- Helene Jolly, PA-C, MPAP – Performs cosmetic dermatology, acne and skin rash treatments, and mole removal among other tasks.