The Many Benefits of Microneedling
Skin depressions caused by injury, acne or fine wrinkles make many people self-conscious, and makeup can accentuate rather than cover up these cosmetic concerns. Microneedling is an effective and minimally invasive way to smooth the skin for an even texture and appearance. The non-surgical treatment improves skin imperfections by creating micro-trauma with tiny needles and stimulates your body’s natural ability to repair the tissues without leaving a scar.
Generally, a topical anesthetic cream is applied to the skin and a handheld electrically-powered device called SkinPen makes microscopic punctures in the skin. Your body responds with inflammation that promotes new collagen formation, providing a smooth, youthful skin texture and tone. Your body creates less and less collagen each year starting in your 20s, but SkinPen microneedling switches “repair mode” on in the skin’s tissues and jumpstarts collagen production.
Improve Skin Depressions Caused by Acne, Burns and Scars
Long-term acne can create unsightly scarring that does not go away when the breakouts stop. Surgery and injury may leave significant scarring once you’ve healed. Microneedling treatments (often done monthly in three to five sessions offer improvement for these moderate to severe skin conditions without significant downtime of laser resurfacing. Acne should be well controlled prior to starting microneedle procedures.
An Effective Treatment for Skin Discoloration and Hair Loss
Microneedling treatments allow topical serums and ointments with active ingredients to penetrate deeper skin layers more efficiently than other methods, making it a good option for hair loss treatment. The dark patches and spots from melasma and hyperpigmentation respond well to microneedling without the risk of worsening discoloration because the device does not heat the skin like laser treatments do.
Use Your Body’s Healing Properties for Wrinkles
The micro-trauma created by microneedling promote “dermal remodeling” that work well to address any skin condition that causes depressions in the tissues, including lines and wrinkles. The healing response revitalizes aging skin and reduces the appearance of facial wrinkles.
Professional microneedling is more effective than at-home microneedling rollers because the pen-shaped device evenly penetrates the underlying layers of the skin with consistent force.
Schedule Your Microneedling Consultation with a Dermatologist
Our skilled team of dermatologists and Physician Assistants can develop a treatment plan to address your skin concerns. Contact Grossmont Dermatology Medical Clinic and Skin Cancer Treatment Center to schedule your appointment in La Mesa today.
Grossmont Dermatology Medical Clinic and Skin Cancer Treatment Center Staff
Grossmont Dermatology is committed to providing patients with excellent quality skin treatments to help them preserve their youth. They use the latest technologies and treatment modalities to provide patients with the most effective services suiting their individual needs. The team of professionals at the practice comprise:
- Paul B. Dean, MD, MPH, FAAD – Specializes in general dermatology, mole and lesion removal, photodynamic therapy (PDT), and skin cancer treatments.
- Maki Christine Goskowicz, MD, FAAD – Expertise includes general, cosmetic and laser dermatology, and skin cancer surgery and Botox treatments.
- Christopher Crosby, MD, PhD, FAAD - Specialist in Mohs surgery and reconstructive dermatologic surgery for skin cancers.
- Shinko Lin, MD – Specializes in general, cosmetic and laser dermatology, skin cancer treatments, and PDT.
- Sam Khalifian, MD – Specializes in adult and pediatric autoimmune connective tissue disease, skin cancer and melanoma treatments, hair loss disorders, and cosmetics.
- Helene Jolly, PA-C, MPAP – Performs cosmetic dermatology, acne and skin rash treatments, and mole removal among other tasks.