Accurate diagnosis by La Mesa, CA dermatologist determines best skin cancer treatments
Skin cancer does not discriminate. Anyone of either gender or any ethnicity, age, or lifestyle can develop it. Fortunately, today’s patient has more options in skin cancer treatments than ever before. It starts with accurate diagnosis at Grossmont Dermatology Medical Clinic in La Mesa, CA.
How skin cancer is diagnosed
Human skin is comprised of four layers containing many kinds of cells. Skin cancer is abnormal growth of skin cells. While most people are familiar with basal cell carcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma, and melanoma, there are more than 100 types of skin cancer. Pinpoint diagnosis requires skill, experience, and advanced instrumentation, essential for an effective treatment plan.
As Board-certified dermatologists, Doctors Dean, Crosby, Lynn, and Lee have seen and treated a multitude of skin cancers. He begins with thorough examination of skin, looking under magnification for changes that may indicate cancer. Laboratory testing, called a biopsy, may be necessary to confirm diagnosis of a suspicious spot. They strive to precisely analyze the extent or stage of the skin cancer. Imaging tests help to identify involvement of nearby tissues or lymph nodes.
The most effective course of treatment may involve:
- Mohs micrographic surgery. With this precise removal method, there is an extremely high cure rate with minimal impact to healthy, surrounding tissues.
- Immunobiological treatment that boosts the body’s natural defense mechanisms, to attack cancer naturally.
- Traditional excision involves cutting the lesion and a portion of surrounding tissues from skin.
- Curettage and electrodesiccation, a time-tested technique for small, low-risk lesions.
- Cryosurgery, freezing, can be a good choice for patients who have bleeding disorders.
- Photodynamic therapy. PDT is sometimes used on the face and scalp. Lesions are treated with sensitizing medications; then a special light is applied.
- Laser surgery is sometimes used for superficial lesions.
- Topical medications are a form of chemotherapy. They are appropriate for pre-cancerous actinic keratosis some surface cancers.
- Radiation. Although the cure rate is high with radiation therapy, cosmetic issues and side effects make this a last resort treatment.
The prognosis for most skin cancers is good, with early detection and leading-edge care. Call (855) 977-4949 to schedule treatments with Dr. Crosby in La Mesa, CA.
Grossmont Dermatology Medical Clinic and Skin Cancer Treatment Center
Grossmont Dermatology is committed to providing patients with excellent quality skin treatments to help them preserve their youth. They use the latest technologies and treatment modalities to provide patients with the most effective services suiting their individual needs. The team of professionals at the practice comprise:
- Christopher Crosby, MD, PhD, FAAD - Specialist in Mohs surgery and reconstructive dermatologic surgery for skin cancers.
- Paul B. Dean, MD, MPH, FAAD – Specializes in general dermatology, mole and lesion removal, photodynamic therapy (PDT), and skin cancer treatments.
- Maki Christine Goskowicz, MD, FAAD – Expertise includes general and laser dermatology, and skin cancer and melanoma treatments.
- Shinko Lin, MD – Specializes in general, cosmetic and laser dermatology, skin cancer treatments, and PDT.
- Helene Jolly, PA-C, MPAP – Performs cosmetic dermatology, acne and skin rash treatments, and mole removal among other tasks.