What is PRP?PRP or Platelet Rich Plasma therapy uses the patient’s own platelets to improve and accelerate healing and regeneration. Our blood is 40-45% red cells, 55% plasma and 1% platelets and white cells. PRP Therapy uses a concentration of platelets to improve conditions such as hair loss, melasma, wrinkles, and sagging skin.
At Grossmont Dermatology we use PRP for the treatment of Hair loss as well as with our Microneedling treatments.
Hair LossPlatelets contain healing growth factors which are like signal callers that give instructions to our tissue to regenerate and multiply. When using PRP for Hair, your growth factors and stem cells work together to reserves the miniaturization of the hair follicle and jump starting dormant hair back into the growth stage.
PRP for Hair Regrowth:
- Increases blood supply to the follicle
- Increases Shaft Size (thickness)
- Triggers and maintains growth phase
- Controls hair growth cycle
- Decreases hair loss.
Microneedling & PRPWhen combining microneedling and PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) therapy you can expect a stimulation of the fibrolast production of collagen and elastin, improving the overall condition of your skin from the inside out. Microneedling & PRP can help conditions such as: acne, burn and surgical scars, fine lines and wrinkles, stretch marks, lose and lax skin and hyperpigmentation.
For firmer, younger skin with fewer fine lines and wrinkles we recommend PRP with Microneedling.
Frequently asked questions
Who is a good candidate for PRP?We recommend getting a consultation with our physicians or physician assistant to determine if PRP is the right choice for you.
What is the downtime?Downtime for hair restoration is minimal, it is advised to not use dye or harsh chemical on scalp for 48 hours. For Microneedling and PRP downtime is little to minimal. Some patients experience some redness, dryness or swelling 24hours after receiving a treatment.
When will I see results?While results can be noticeable after the first treatment, a series of at least 3 treatments spread a month apart is always recommended. After that a maintenance treatment once or twice a year is recommended.
Does the procedure hurt?While some patients may feel some sensitivity, our physicians use effective anesthetic solutions like cold ambient air, cold compresses to minimize any potential discomfort. For Microneedling a topical numbing cream will be applied prior to the treatment to make the procedure comfortable and pain free.
How long does it take?The PRP Treatment can take 10-20minutes, however we ask our patients to come in 15 minutes prior to the appointment so we can effectively draw their blood and prepare their concentrated platelets for the procedure.
Grossmont Dermatology Medical Clinic and Skin Cancer Treatment Center
Grossmont Dermatology is committed to providing patients with excellent quality skin treatments to help them preserve their youth. They use the latest technologies and treatment modalities to provide patients with the most effective services suiting their individual needs. The team of professionals at the practice comprise:
- Christopher Crosby, MD, PhD, FAAD - Specialist in Mohs surgery and reconstructive dermatologic surgery for skin cancers.
- Paul B. Dean, MD, MPH, FAAD – Specializes in general dermatology, mole and lesion removal, photodynamic therapy (PDT), and skin cancer treatments.
- Maki Christine Goskowicz, MD, FAAD – Expertise includes general and laser dermatology, and skin cancer and melanoma treatments.
- Shinko Lin, MD – Specializes in general, cosmetic and laser dermatology, skin cancer treatments, and PDT.
- Sam Khalifian, MD – Specializes in adult and pediatric autoimmune connective tissue disease, skin cancer and melanoma treatments, hair loss disorders, and cosmetics.
- Helene Jolly, PA-C, MPAP – Performs cosmetic dermatology, acne and skin rash treatments, and mole removal among other tasks.