Platelet-Rich Plasma Treatments Improve a Range of Skin Concerns
Our bodies have the amazing ability to heal. Dermatologists are experts at harnessing this healing power for the benefits of their patients. One way that dermatologists harness the body’s healing power is through the use of platelet-rich plasma treatments. Here, the talented team at Grossmont Dermatology Medical Clinic explains how platelet-rich plasma treatments improve a range of skin concerns.
What Is Platelet-Rich Plasma?
Blood is made up of red cells, plasma and platelets. Plasma is the liquid component of blood. Platelets are cells within the blood that help the body form clots to stop bleeding. Platelets also stimulate healing and promote cell growth. Platelet-rich plasma combines plasma and platelets to increase your body’s healing ability and improve your skin.
How Does Platelet-Rich Plasma Treatment Work?
During platelet-rich plasma treatment, a sample of the patient’s own blood is used. The doctor takes a blood draw and runs the blood through a centrifuge, where the platelets are separated from other blood cells. The platelets are then injected back into the patient’s skin using very fine needles. The treatment is safe because it uses the body’s own platelets and requires little to no downtime.
How Can Platelet-Rich Plasma Treatments Improve Skin Concerns?
Platelet-rich plasma treatments can be used to improve a variety of skin concerns. Platelet-rich plasma treatments can reduce the signs of aging and discoloration. The following are the top ways that platelet-rich plasma treatments improve skin concerns:
- Fine lines and wrinkles are usually the first signs of aging that people notice. While platelet-rich plasma treatments cannot reverse the aging process, the treatments can reduce the appearance of wrinkles and deep creases in the skin.
- In addition to wrinkles, another sign of aging is laxity. Platelet-rich plasma treatments can stimulate collagen production, thus improving the appearance of the skin through collagen stimulation.
- Discolored or blotchy skin can have a number of causes. Platelet-rich plasma treatments can help improve the skin’s appearance and treat many of the conditions that cause skin discoloration.
- Many adults suffer from unwanted scars left over from acne. Platelet-rich plasma treatments combined with microneedling can improve some types of acne scars.
Schedule a Consultation for Platelet-Rich Plasma Therapy Today
The only way to know if platelet-rich plasma therapy is right for you is by scheduling a consultation at Grossmont Dermatology Medical Clinic. Call or text (619) 462-1670 to make an appointment at our La Mesa office.
Grossmont Dermatology Medical Clinic and Skin Cancer Treatment Center Staff
Grossmont Dermatology is committed to providing patients with excellent quality skin treatments to help them preserve their youth. They use the latest technologies and treatment modalities to provide patients with the most effective services suiting their individual needs.
The team of professionals at the practice comprise:
- Paul B. Dean, MD, MPH, FAAD – Specializes in general dermatology, mole and lesion removal, photodynamic therapy (PDT), and skin cancer treatments.
- Maki Christine Goskowicz, MD, FAAD – Expertise includes general, cosmetic and laser dermatology, and skin cancer surgery and Botox treatments.
- Christopher Crosby, MD, PhD, FAAD - Specialist in Mohs surgery and reconstructive dermatologic surgery for skin cancers.
- Shinko Lin, MD – Specializes in general, cosmetic and laser dermatology, skin cancer treatments, and PDT.
- Sam Khalifian, MD – Specializes in adult and pediatric autoimmune connective tissue disease, skin cancer and melanoma treatments, hair loss disorders, and cosmetics.
- Helene Jolly, PA-C, MPAP – Performs cosmetic dermatology, acne and skin rash treatments, and mole removal among other tasks.
- Kira A. Tellache, PA-C – Performs general dermatology including acne and skin rashes as well as cosmetic dermatology and mole removal.